There are different types and anxiety symptoms. Anxiety disorders include:
- Generalised anxiety
- Panic disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post traumatic stress disorder
Emotional anxiety symptoms:
- Excessive, ongoing worry and tension
- Disturbed sleep (trouble falling or staying asleep)
- Irritability and poor concentration
These emotional symptoms can have an effect on mood. For example, we can have an unrealistic view of problems, see things in a very black and white manner or have a negative state of mind.
Physical anxiety symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Cold hands
- Muscle tension and aches
- Dry mouth
- Trembling and twitching
Anxiety related disorders are the majority of diagnosed mental illnesses.
Conventional anxiety treatments include: psychological therapies like cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and applied relaxation, and medication such as antidepressants and benzodiazepines. All the drug treatments come with side effects.
Acupuncture for anxiety – an alternative anxiety remedy
Acupuncture stimulates the nervous system and cause the release of neurochemical messenger molecules. The resulting biochemical changes influence the body’s homeostatic mechanisms, thus promoting physical and emotional well-being.
Research has proven that acupuncture for anxiety is very effective as it relieves anxiety symptoms. It:
- Acts on areas of the brain known to reduce sensitivity to pain and stress, as well as promotes relaxation and deactivates the ‘analytical’ brain (responsible for anxiety and worry)
- Regulates levels of neurotransmitters and hormones such as: serotonin, noradrenaline, dopamine and GABA, altering the brain’s mood chemistry (feel good hormones) to help to combat negative states
- Stimulates production of body’s own opioids, endorphins initiating the relaxation state
- Reverses stress-induced changes in behaviour and biochemistry
- Reverses pathological changes in levels of inflammatory cytokines that are associated with anxiety
Acupuncture can be safely combined with conventional treatments such as medication or psychological therapy, enhancing their beneficial effects and reducing unwanted side-effects .
During years of my practice in Ireland and China I have treated many patients with stress and anxiety symptoms. Recently I see more and more young adults who are under extreme pressure, often work related. They come to me with various conditions, which are all stress-induced. Being and acupuncturist and Tui Na practitioner I have developed my unique treatment – acupuncture with shoulders, neck and head massage, which has proven to help my patients to relieve anxiety symptoms. They report being relaxed, grounded, invigorated after the treatment.
- Read more about acupuncture and stress
- For a natural way to calm the spirit, remedy insomnia and restlessness read my post on Healing Lotus Seeds and post on Rose Buds